Magic 2014 – Ignite Your Spark Photo Contest
The Planeswalkers from Wizards of the Coast's Magic: The Gathering are overloaded with work due to the launch of Magic 2014 – Duels of the Planeswalkers and are looking for stand-ins for them while they focus on releasing the new game. In order to select a stand-in, the Planeswalkers are requesting potential candidates to submit a photo with a caption explaining why the candidate would make a good stand-in. We're looking for quality, creativity, originality, enthusiasm and wit – so get inspired and let your photo and caption demonstrate why you would be a good stand-in for your favorite Planeswalker. You may choose any of the following Planeswalkers: Ajani Goldmane, Chandra Nalaar, Elspeth Tirel, Garruk Wildspeaker, Gideon Jura, Jace Beleren, Karn, Koth of the Hammer, Liliana vess, Nicol Bolas, Nissa Revane, Ral Zarek, Sarkhan Vol, Sorin Markov, Tamiyo, Tezzeret, Tibalt, Venser, or Vraska.
One Grand Prize Winner will receive a trip for two to attend a PAX event of his/her choice in 2014 from PAX Prime in Seattle, Washington, PAX East in Boston, Massachusetts, or PAX Australia in Australia, including airfare, hotel and multi-day passes to the PAX event, worth an approximate fair market value of $7,000 USD. One Fan Favorite Winner will receive a laptop computer and copy of Magic 2014 – Duels of the Planeswalkers, worth an approximate retail value of $1,000 USD. The Grand Prize winner will be able to select their favorite Wizards Play Network retail store to be the Retail Store Winner and receive a pizza party worth $500 USD.
The Magic 2014 – Ignite Your Spark Photo Contest (the "Contest") starts on June 28, 2013, at 12:01 am Eastern Time ("ET") and ends on September 4, 2013, at 11:59 pm ET ("Contest Period"). The sponsor of the Contest is Wizards of the Coast LLC, 1600 Lind Ave SW Suite 400, Renton, Washington 98057 (the "Sponsor"). This Contest is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. By entering the Contest you ("Entrant" or "you") accept and agree to follow these Official Rules.
1) Who is Eligible: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States, Canada (excluding Quebec), France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland), Republic of Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Mexico and Argentina who have reached the age of majority at the time of entry in the country in which they reside.
You also must have a Facebook account and grant permission for the Contest Facebook application ("Contest App") to access the information on your Facebook profile. Facebook accounts can be obtained by logging on to www.facebook.com and following the onscreen instructions to create an account. Employees, officers and directors of Wizards, its parent companies, affiliated companies, advertising agencies, promotion agencies, production agencies, and each of their immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and members of their same households (related or not) are not eligible to participate in the Contest. VOID IN PUERTO RICO, U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS, AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
2) How to Enter: First, while logged into your Facebook account, access the Contest App by visiting any of the following official Magic: The Gathering Facebook pages
Using the Contest App, follow the on-screen instructions to enter. You will be asked to enter your complete name, date of birth, country of residence, and email address and to submit a photo of yourself auditioning to be a one of the Planeswalker characters (your "Photo Submission") along with a text caption.
Your photo and caption must also conform to the following:
- • Photo size must be the same dimensions as a Facebook cover photo, i.e., 851 pixels wide and 315 pixels high.
- • Photo must be in .JPG or .PNG file format.
- • Only one person (Entrant) can be depicted in the photo.
- • Text caption must be 200 characters or less.
- • If your photo contains words, the words must take up less than 20% of the photo.
- • It should be clear from your photo which Planeswalker character you are auditioning to stand in for.
- • Entrant must own the copyrights in the Photo Submission and text caption entered in the Contest; in general, this means that Entrant took the photograph and wrote the caption.
- • Photo and/or caption must not contain any nudity; sexually explicit, defamatory, obscene, threatening or harassing material; messaging promoting hatred toward groups of people based on their race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity; material that infringes any other person’s intellectual property rights; or any depictions of dangerous or illegal activities. Keep it safe, clean and classy, people!
There are three ways to create your Photo Submission:
•Magic: The Gathering Green Screen Booth: Visit the Magic: The Gathering Green Screen Booth at (i) Van’s Warped Tour in Las Vegas, Nevada on June 28, 2013, (ii) the Geek & Sundry and Wizards of the Coast Comic Con Magic: The Gathering party in San Diego, California on July 19, 2013, (iii) PAX Australia in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on July 19-21, 2013, or (iv) PAX Prime in Seattle, Washington on August 30-September 2, 2013, and use the green screen station to put your image into one of the five Planeswalker Audition backgrounds designed by Magic: The Gathering artists. Please note that creating a photo using the green screen station will not by itself enter you into the Contest – so be sure to use the Contest App to upload your Photo Submission and enter it into the Contest. Please note that creating your Photo Submission using the Magic: The Gathering Green Screen Booth will not give you any advantage in the Contest over Photo Submissions created using any other permitted method to create your Photo Submission
• Contest App Photo Editor: Using the Contest App, upload a photo of yourself and use the photo editing application to crop your image into one of the five Planeswalker Audition backgrounds designed by Magic: The Gathering artists, then complete the entry process.
• Create Your Own: Create your own original Photo Submission using your own props, background, photo editing software, and imagination. Be sure your Photo Submission conforms to the size and other requirements set forth herein and use the Contest App to upload it and enter into the Contest.
LIMIT ONE ENTRY PER PERSON.
3) Who Will Win: All decisions made by Sponsor or its nominated agents on all matters relating to the Contest are final and binding. There will be one (1) Grand Prize Winner, one (1) Fan Favorite Winner, and one (1) Retail Store Winner, each to be selected as set forth below.
Grand Prize Winner
One Grand Prize Winner will be chosen by Sponsor from all eligible entries received based on the following criteria:
- 25% Quality, creativity and originality of the photo
- 25% Wit and creativity of the text caption
- 25% Creative use of Magic: The Gathering branding in photo and text caption
- 25% Cohesive depiction and expression of your qualifications to be a Planeswalker stand-in
Fan Favorite Winner
Applying the criteria above, Sponsor will also choose ten (10) runner-up submissions ("Fan Favorite Candidates") that will be published via the Contest App for fan community vote after the Contest Period has ended. From the time the ten Fan Favorite Candidates are published on the Contest App on or around September 9, 2013, until 11:59 pm ET on September 15, 2013 ("Voting Period"), any person with a valid Facebook account who grants permission for the Contest App to access the information on his/her Facebook profile will be able to use the Contest Application to cast one vote for Fan Favorite Candidate. The Fan Favorite Candidate with the most votes at the end of the Voting Period will be the Fan Favorite Winner. In the event of a tie, Sponsor will select the winner applying the criteria above.
Retail Store Winner
The Retail Store Winner will be a retail store that is a member of the Wizards Play Network in good standing chosen by the Grand Prize Winner of the Contest.
4) Winner Notification The Grand Prize Winner and Fan Favorite Winner will be notified on or around September 16, 2013, via the email address provided by entrant at the time of entry. The Retail Store Winner will be notified on or around September 30, 2013. If a winner does not respond within five (5) days to the notification sent to the email address he or she provided after two (2) notifications have been sent by Sponsor, such winner will be disqualified and will forfeit the prize. In such event, the prize will be awarded to another eligible entrant chosen from the remaining pool of entries in accordance with the terms set forth herein. The winners will be announced on the official Magic: The Gathering Facebook pages on or around September 30, 2013.
5) Prize Information and Approximate Retail Value
The Grand Prize Winner will receive a trip for him/her and one (1) companion who has reached the age of majority in his or her country of residence at the time of travel ("Companion") (for a total of two (2) persons) to attend a PAX event of his/her choice in 2014 from PAX Prime in Seattle, Washington, PAX East in Boston, Massachusetts, or PAX Australia in Australia, including airfare, hotel and multi-day passes to the PAX event, worth an approximate fair market value of $7,000 USD (approximately equivalent to €5,400 and £4,630).
Travel dates will be the day before the beginning of the event and the day after the end of the event. Visas and passports may be required for travel and are not included in the prize; the Grand Prize Winner and Companion are solely responsible for securing and paying for any required visas and passports. Meals, spending money, and ground transportation are not included in the prize and are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner and Companion.
Fan Favorite Prize
The Fan Favorite Winner will receive one (1) laptop computer and one (1) copy of Magic 2014 – Duels of the Planeswalkers, worth an approximate retail value of $1,000 USD (approximately equivalent to €770 or £660).
Retail Store Prize
The Retail Store Winner will receive a pizza party worth $500 USD (approximately equivalent to €385 or £330).
Each winner must provide his/her mailing address to Sponsor and must execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release/publicity release (except where prohibited) and any other legal documents that Sponsor may require, within five (5) business days from notification in order to receive the prize. Prizes are not transferable, assignable, or redeemable for cash. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may substitute a prize of equal or greater value than the prize identified herein. If any winner either fails to timely provide his/her mailing address or declines a prize or fails to comply with any of the Official Rules, or if any prize is returned as undeliverable, such winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner may be chosen from the remaining pool of entries in accordance with the terms of the Official Rules at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Winners are solely responsible for paying all applicable federal, country, state and local taxes, and all other expenses associated with any prize. Where applicable, the prizes shall be delivered by Sponsor or Sponsor’s designated agent to the winners within the jurisdiction of the domicile provided by each winner.
6) Disqualification: Failure to comply with these Official Rules will result in disqualification. Further, an entrant’s entry will be disqualified, at the sole discretion of Sponsor, if Entrant:
a. enters the Contest through any means other than described in these Official Rules;
b. attempts to disrupt the Contest, circumvent the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, or in any way tampers with any component of the Contest;
c. submits multiple entries or votes in the Contest or submits entries or votes generated or caused by script, macro or other automated means;
d. submits his or her entry after the expiration of the Contest Period; or
e. submits an entry that contains material copied (either wholly or substantially) from any third party work or material.
If any of the above occurs, Sponsor has the right to remedy any such action, disruption, or circumvention, and to seek damages from Entrant to the fullest extent permitted by law.
If an Entrant selected to be the Grand Prize Winner is disqualified for any reason, then he or she will not be eligible to select the Retail Store Winner, and the Grand Prize Winner will be selected as set forth in Section 4 herein and be given the opportunity to choose the Retail Store Winner; provided, however, that a replacement Retail Store Winner will not be chosen if the Retail Store Prize has already been fulfilled.
7) Liability Release: To the fullest extent permitted by law, by participating in the Contest, Entrant agrees to forever and irrevocably release, discharge, indemnify, and hold Facebook and Sponsor and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions, agencies and all prize suppliers, harmless from any and all liability, losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind in connection with the Contest, or resulting from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, including any travel or activity related thereto, including without limitation to the fullest extent permitted by law personal injuries, death and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy, whether suffered by entrant or a third party. For German residents, German statutory liability applies. By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees to abide by and accept as final the Sponsor’s decisions and waives any right to appeal.
8) Publicity Release: To the fullest extent permitted by law, by participating in the Contest, Entrant grants Sponsor permission to use, except where prohibited by law, winner’s name, image, likeness, and country of residence, for Sponsor’s advertising and promotional purposes in all forms of media, now or hereafter known, throughout the world and on the Internet in perpetuity, without compensation or additional consents from entrant and prior notice, approval or inspection.
9) LICENSE: BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, ENTRANT GRANTS SPONSOR AN UNLIMITED, WORLDWIDE, PERPETUAL, ROYALTY-FREE, IRREVOCABLE, NON-EXCLUSIVE LICENSE TO USE THE PHOTO SUBMISSION AND/OR TEXT CAPTION (TOGETHER AND/OR SEPARATELY) FOR THE PURPOSES OF THE CONTEST AND FOR PROMOTING SPONSOR’S BUSINESS WITHOUT FURTHER PERMISSION FROM OR NOTIFICATION TO ENTRANT.
Use and disclosure of personal data under this license must be consistent with the terms of Section 10 of the Official Rules.
For example, this license includes the right for Sponsor to edit, crop, adapt, modify, copy, publish, display, distribute, sub-license and create derivative works based upon the Photo Submission and/or text caption in any way whatsoever.
Further, by entering the Contest, Entrant agrees that Sponsor may use Entrant’s image:
- • Without the text caption
- • With other photographs, images, words and graphics; and/or
- • In the context of anything else relating to the Contest and the promotion of the Sponsor’s business.
To the extent permitted by law, Entrant will be deemed to have waived his or her moral rights in the Photo Submission and the text caption. For example, Sponsor does not have to credit Entrant as the photographer.
10) PERSONAL DATA: BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, ENTRANT GRANTS TO SPONSOR PERMISSION TO COLLECT AND PROCESS PERSONAL DATA PROVIDED BY ENTRANT (NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, EMAIL ADDRESS, SEX, COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE AND IMAGE AS IT APPEARS IN ENTRANT’S PHOTO SUBMISSION) AND TO TRANSFER SUCH PERSONAL DATA OUTSIDE OF HIS/HER COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE TO WIZARDS OF THE COAST LLC, HASBRO, INC., AND PROMETHIUM MARKETING IN THE UNITED STATES, WHICH MAY HAVE DIFFERENT PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION LAWS THAN ENTRANT’S COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE.
Entrant may request access to and/or correction or deletion of Entrant’s personal data at any time by submitting such request to Sponsor’s Customer Service as set forth at http://company.wizards.com/contactus. Any inquiries or complaints with respect to Entrant’s personal data should also be channeled to Sponsor in this manner. Entrant further acknowledges that it will be necessary for Sponsor to store and process Entrant’s personal data for the purpose of administering the Contest, without which Entrant will not be able to participate in the Contest.
11) Information Disclosure: The information you submit in the Contest is disclosed to Promethium Marketing, 156 Second Street, San Francisco, California 94105; Wizards of the Coast LLC, 1600 Lind Avenue, Suite 400, Renton, WA 98057; and Hasbro, Inc., 1027 Newport Avenue, Pawtucket, Rhode Island 02861 (collectively, "Contest Entities"). The information submitted using the Contest Application is not disclosed by Contest Entities to Facebook.
12) Governing Law: By entering the Contest, Entrant acknowledges and agrees that these Official Rules, the Contest, and all disputes related thereto are governed by the laws of the State of Washington in United States, without regard to its conflict of laws principles.
13) Requesting Copies: These Official Rules can be sent free of charge to anyone who requests them. To receive a copy of these Official Rules or the names of the prize winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Ignite Your Spark Contest Winners c/o Wizards of the Coast LLC, P.O. Box 707, Renton, WA 98057-0707. All requests must be received by October 31, 2013. Residents of the State of Vermont and France may omit return postage.
© 2013 Wizards of the Coast LLC.